If you are a South African visually impaired or blind person interested in accessible phones in a local context, feel free to join the Accessible phones mailing list.
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit the list info page. or, via email, send a message with the word ‘subscribe’ in the subject or message body to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once subscribed, you can send your submissions to: email@example.com
And should you run into any trouble, you can reach the person managing the list at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to current users of the Seika Mini Braille Display:
A new firmware version has been released for the Seika Mini Braille Display.
Download the new firmware Ver1.007 from here.
NIPPON TELESOFT CO., LTD. brings you the new Seika Mini Braille display. Sporting 16 cells of high quality 8 dot Braille, in a truely light and portable package; weighing a mere 300 Grams.
I’ve had the pleasure to put this Braille display through its paces for two weeks, thanks to Neville Clarence of
NCTec, who made the Seika Mini available to me for evaluation.
Before I get down to my opinion, here’s the specifications for the Seika Mini Braille Display:
- Display Capacity: 16 refreshable 8-dots Braille cells
- Cursor routing Key: 16 keys
- Function Keys: 4 function keys, 2 Navigation joystick keys
- Braille input keys: 8 keys
- Character code: Original 8 code
- Memory: 4GB (Embedded Micro SD card)
- Connectivity: USB, Mini USB, Micro SD card slot
- Internal battery: Lithium rechargeable battery
- Charge time: 2.5 hours(the charge time will longer if use Mini at the same time)
- Power Supply: USB/AC Adapter/ Internal battery
- Size: 6.3(W) 3.78(D) 0.9(H) inches.
- Weight: 300g
- Leather carry case,Neck strap,
- AC adaptor (5V / 1A)
- USB Cable (one head is USB male, the other head is mini USB male), it is primarily used for battery charging and screen reader data transfer)
- Bluetooth USB Adapter
- 4G Micro SD card which is in the Mini Seika in default
- Documentation and Drivers on a CD
- User Guide, in print